Mt. Nittany UMC
In 1917, Methodists turned a dream into a reality when they were granted a charter to establish a home for central Pennsylvania's orphaned children. A local farm was purchased, christened “The Christ House,” and in 1926 the children moved to the present location between Mechanicsburg and Shiremanstown. The orphanage was known for its beautiful, hand-cut limestone buildings and the name was then changed to The Methodist Home for Children.
Today, the United Methodist Home for Children is "home" to local children who are victims of their social environment. The children, for a variety of reasons, are unable to live with their families or within foster care placements in the com-munity. They attend public schools, maintain a daily study hour, have chores, volunteer in the community, and participate in a wide variety of athletic and extracurricular activities. Professional care is provided by a team of dedicated staff members. For more information, see: United Methodist Home for Children